Senator Markey has made it a priority to ensure that the United States acts as a leader in human rights. As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Senator Markey has made it a priority to ensure that the United States acts as a leader in human rights and impose enforceable sanctions on violators. He strongly opposes torture and arbitrary detention. He was the first member of Congress to introduce legislation banning the outsourcing of terror, known as extraordinary rendition. He supports the closure of Guantanamo, and has voted in support of removing restrictions on the ability to transfer cleared detainees. He advocates on behalf of constituents wrongfully-detained overseas, and works to ensure that trade agreements require strong safeguards for human rights and labor rights.
- Senators Markey, Toomey Introduce Bipartisan Resolution Condemning Persecution of Gay Men in Chechnya Posted on 06/30/17
- Markey Joins Resolution Recognizing June As Pride Month Posted on 06/28/17
- Senator Markey Calls on President Trump to Affirm Armenian Genocide on 102nd Anniversary Posted on 04/21/17
- Senators Markey and Young Lead Bipartisan Call for Action on Chechen Human Rights Violations Towards LGBTI Community Posted on 04/19/17
- Statement from Senator Edward J. Markey on Exclusion of OUTVETS from St. Patrick's Day Parade Posted on 03/08/17
- Senator Markey Statement on Appointment of White Nationalist Steve Bannon Posted on 11/14/16
- Senator Markey and Reps. Cicilline & Lowenthal Lead 82 Members of Congress in Call for Support for LGBT Community Worldwide Posted on 06/24/16