Global climate change presents one of the gravest threats to our planet’s health, and to America’s economy, national security, and public health. Senator Markey is a national leader on energy, the environment, and climate change and has authored legislation that address the energy, economic and national security challenges associated with increasing carbon pollution. In 2009, then-Rep. Markey partnered with Rep. Henry Waxman to introduce the landmark Waxman-Markey American Clean Energy and Security Act, the only comprehensive climate change bill ever to pass a chamber of Congress. The legislation slashed global warming emissions 17 percent by 2020, and 80 percent by 2050. Markey authored the renewable electricity standard in the bill that said by 2020, 20 percent of America’s electricity should come from renewable sources.
Senator Markey is Chair of the Senate Climate Change Task Force. From 2007-2010, Markey served as Chair of the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming.
"The Clean Power Plan embodies what makes America great: it is ambitious, it is flexible, and it is achievable. This plan captures the scientific urgency, economic opportunity and moral imperative necessary to avoid the worse consequences of climate change. The same people who deny the science of climate change and say the emissions reductions targets in this plan cannot be reached are the same people who ally themselves with fossil fuel companies with a vested interest in blocking action. The Clean Power Plan provides states the flexibility to meet new targets with incentives that will help unleash clean energy technologies in every state of the union."
"It was an honor and a privilege to meet with Pope Francis and other Vatican leaders to share our common concern about the challenge of our time, climate change.The Pope and all people of faith understand that climate change is a moral issue, and that we are called to respond to this personal and planetary challenge."
Senator Markey & EPA Adminstrator Gina McCarthy Discuss Climate Change
Senator Markey urged action on climate change during Senate #Up4Climate event
Congress must Act on Climate
Markey discusses the need to act on climate change with Christiana Figueres, Executive Secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
Senator Markey and members of the Senate Climate Action Task Force discuss plans to combat climate change
- Senators Call on Pruitt to End Secrecy at EPA Posted on 08/31/17
- Senator Markey to Secretary Tillerson: Don't Eliminate Climate Envoy Posted on 08/29/17
- Senator Markey to President Trump: Don’t Suppress, Interfere with Climate Science Posted on 08/09/17
- Senators Introduce Legislation to End Taxpayer Subsidies for Big Oil, Reduce National Deficit Posted on 08/02/17
- U.S. Senators Who Attended COP21 Write to Trump During French Visit, Urging Reconsideration, Reversal of Paris Agreement Withdrawal Posted on 07/13/17
- Markey Statement on Trillion Ton Antarctic Iceberg Posted on 07/12/17
- Senator Markey: Trump Withdrawal from Paris Climate Agreement Is a Betrayal of Scientific Fact, Economic Opportunity, and Moral Leadership Posted on 06/01/17