April 14, 2011: STATEMENT IN OPPOSITION TO GOP BUDGET FOR FY 2012
STATEMENT ON THE HOUSE FLOOR IN OPPOSITION TO
H.RES. 223 – RULE PROVIDING FOR CONSIDERATION OF H.CON.RES. 34 - CONCURRENT RESOLUTION ON THE BUDGET FOR FISCAL YEAR 2012
APRIL 14, 2011
“Republicans say their budget is a ‘Path to Prosperity’. But it’s really a ‘Path to MORE Prosperity for the already Prosperous’.
“The Republican budget:
· Picks high-rolling oil executives over low-income families;
· Favors CEO’s over senior citizens;
· Helps the wealthy over the working class.
“How do Republicans pay for this gigantic goodie bag for the rich? They:
· Eviscerate Medicare, turning it into an underfunded voucher program - Medicare becomes Medicare-LESS.
· End the help seniors need to pay for their medicines – G.O.P. stands for ‘Grandma’s Out of Prescriptions.’
“This budget is the same, tired tune Republicans have been trotting out for decades…
“It’s ‘Play it Again, Uncle Sam’.
“In the 1980s, President Reagan tried to slash social safety net programs.
“In 2005, President Bush tried to privatize Social Security.
“Today, Republicans are trying to shred the social safety net they’ve opposed since it was created.
“It’s not just “déjà vu” all over again - it’s déjà voo-doo economics, all over again!
“Vote down this misguided budget so we can protect Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security now and into the future.
“Say NO to the Republican Medicare-LESS budget.”