Senator Markey has made it a priority to ensure that the United States acts as a leader in human rights. As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Senator Markey has made it a priority to ensure that the United States acts as a leader in human rights and impose enforceable sanctions on violators. He strongly opposes torture and arbitrary detention. He was the first member of Congress to introduce legislation banning the outsourcing of terror, known as extraordinary rendition. He supports the closure of Guantanamo, and has voted in support of removing restrictions on the ability to transfer cleared detainees. He advocates on behalf of constituents wrongfully-detained overseas, and works to ensure that trade agreements require strong safeguards for human rights and labor rights.
- Senator Markey Statement on Appointment of White Nationalist Steve Bannon Posted on 11/14/16
- Senator Markey and Reps. Cicilline & Lowenthal Lead 82 Members of Congress in Call for Support for LGBT Community Worldwide Posted on 06/24/16
- Markey Joins Senators Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren Lead Bipartisan Call on FDA to End Discriminatory Blood Donation Ban Posted on 06/20/16
- Senators Markey, Coons, Baldwin fight discrimination against those with HIV/AIDS Posted on 12/01/15
- Markey Statement on Death of Ezra Schwartz Posted on 11/23/15
- MARKEY JOINS SEN. WARREN, REP. TAKANO AND COLLEAGUES SEND BICAMERAL LETTER URGING SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION TO IMPLEMENT THE SUPREME COURT’S MARRIAGE DECISIONS, NOT PENALIZE PREVIOUSLY-MARRIED SAME-SEX COUPLES Posted on 10/26/15
- Markey Joins Group of 23 Senators in Calling for Immediate Emergency Funding to Increase U.S. Humanitarian Support for Syria, Capacity for Refugee Admissions Posted on 10/05/15