Protecting the safety and security of Massachusetts' schools, streets and communities is of the utmost importance to Senator Markey, who supports common-sense gun control reforms, including universal background checks for all firearms sales, reinstituting the ban on assault weapons, making gun trafficking a federal crime, a prohibition against high capacity ammunition magazines, and closure of the loopholes surrounding the creation of undetectable, plastic guns.
In 1994 in the House of Representatives, Markey was successful in his bipartisan effort to get President Bill Clinton to place an emergency moratorium on the importation of military style assault weapons from China, including the AK-47 and Uzi. At the time, it was estimated that between 425,000 and two million modified rifles had been imported into the United States since 1991, selling for less than $130 per gun.
- Markey Supports Bicameral Resolution Establishing “National Gun Violence Awareness Day” Posted on 06/01/17
- Senator Markey & Rep. Maloney Introduce Legislation During National Public Health Week to Reduce Gun Violence Posted on 04/05/17
- Senator Markey Statement in Opposition to Supreme Court Nominee Judge Neil Gorsuch Posted on 01/31/17
- Senator Markey Praises Obama Administration’s Smart Gun Standards Posted on 11/17/16
- Senator Markey Continues to Urge Facebook to Increase Efforts to Curb Gun Sales Posted on 08/23/16
- In Boston Globe Letter to the Editor, Massachusetts Delegation Stands United in Support for Attorney General Posted on 08/11/16
- Senator Markey and Rep. Gallego Introduce New Legislation to Prevent Accidental Gun Deaths Posted on 07/12/16