Telecommunications, the Internet & Privacy
Senator Markey is a national leader on telecommunications and technology policy, passing legislation that helped lay the foundation for the digital revolution. In the House of Representatives, he co-authored the three landmark bills that ushered in a new era for communications, consumer choice and innovation – the 1992 Cable Act, the 1993 law that moved over 200 MHz of spectrum, and the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which established the “E-rate” rate for schools and libraries and the V-Chip for parental control of TV violence.
Competition is Senator Markey’s economic mantra. Accordingly, he has been instrumental in breaking up anti-consumer, anti-innovative monopolies in telephone service, cable television, and international satellite services. He was a principal author of the requirement that the Bell Operating companies accept local telephone service in the 1990s. His pro-competition policies have created jobs in Massachusetts and throughout the country. He is a champion for Net Neutrality and nondiscrimination on the Internet and for new sources of effective competition to cable TV franchises, telephone operators, and other wireless services.
- Children & Teen Online Privacy
- Accessibility for Americans with Disabilities
- Net Neutrality
- Public Broadcasting
- Senator Markey Criticizes Efforts to Undo Broadband Privacy Rules Posted on 02/16/17
- SENATORS URGE NEW FCC CHAIR TO REVERSE DECISION THREATENING LOW-INCOME AMERICANS’ BROADBAND ACCESS Posted on 02/10/17
- Markey Leads Senators in Demanding Answers on Trump Executive Order That Strips Immigrants of Privacy Act Protections Posted on 02/09/17
- Democratic Senators Raise Questions on Todd Ricketts’ Super PAC and Dark Money Fundraising Activities Posted on 02/08/17
- Senate Democrats Join Entrepreneurs, Advocates, Consumers in Defense of Net Neutrality Posted on 02/07/17
- Senator Markey Denounces FCC for Turning a Blind Eye to Harmful Zero-Rating Plans Posted on 02/03/17
- Senators Markey and Blumenthal Demand Answers from Delta Air Lines About IT System in Light of Yesterday’s Flight Disruptions Posted on 01/30/17