Seniors have paid into Social Security and Medicare throughout their lives, and they should be able to count on these programs for health care and income security in retirement. Medicaid provides vital health care benefits for low-income families and persons with disabilities. In Massachusetts alone, there are 1.1 million Social Security beneficiaries, 1.1 million seniors who receive Medicare benefits, and 1.6 million recipients of MassHealth, the Medicaid program in the Commonwealth.
Senator Markey has fought to protect Social Security and has consistently advocated for necessary cost-of-living adjustments (COLA) and the repeal of both the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset, which currently limit the benefits for surviving spouses of military or civilian government employees. has also vocally opposed any attempt to privatize Social Security.
To read more about what Senator Markey has done to recently to strengthen Medicare and Medicaid click here.
To read more about Senator Markey's fight to protect Social Security, click here.
- Stabenow, Collins, Markey, Capito Applaud Announcement that Medicare Will Implement HOPE for Alzheimer’s Act, Pay for New Care Plans to Provide Support to Families of Alzheimer’s patients Posted on 11/03/16
- Medicare Continues to Save Millions Because of Senator Markey’s Independence at Home Program Posted on 08/09/16
- Senators Applaud Medicare Proposal to Implement HOPE for Alzheimer’s Act Posted on 07/14/16
- Senator Markey Statement on Nomination of Judge Merrick Garland to the U.S. Supreme Court Posted on 03/16/16
- Senators Introduce SAVE Benefits Act to Boost Social Security and Other Critical Benefits for Seniors, Veterans Posted on 11/05/15
- MARKEY JOINS SEN. WARREN, REP. TAKANO AND COLLEAGUES SEND BICAMERAL LETTER URGING SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION TO IMPLEMENT THE SUPREME COURT’S MARRIAGE DECISIONS, NOT PENALIZE PREVIOUSLY-MARRIED SAME-SEX COUPLES Posted on 10/26/15
- Medicare Saves Millions Thanks to Markey, Wyden Independence at Home Program Posted on 06/18/15